Thursday, March 24, 2011

   This brings up the problem of analyzing Art. When we talk about the goal of Art we must know Art’s intention. So it goes, ‘the intention of Art is to reveal the truth’; how quaint the statement is, how smug. It seems almost too simple. One must know what truth is in order to reveal it and this bogs us down with ethical considerations. We swim in deep waters indeed, when we touch upon truths hardly anyone can agree on.
   There is another problem we must try to solve. The question of how to analyze Art is a loaded dice. It is a multifaceted problem of whether to look at Art objectively or subjectively. There is no doubt in my mind which of the two I choose. I don’t believe in the ability to see truth from a comfortable distance. Truth is not a laboratory experiment; there is no place for apartness. I need to get close to truth by living it with all the mistakes I might make finding it. Truth is a living entity; it is a fact that stands in the face of imagination like a block of stone. It is reality therefore I need to feel it and touch it; I need to witness it burn every idea I’ve ever had and know which one was ever worth having.

No comments:

Post a Comment